top of page

Importing your lifts post January 1st 2021

On 1st January 2021 the transition period with the European Union (EU) ended and the United Kingdom (UK) now operates a full external border, which means that controls will be placed on the movement of goods between Great Britain (GB) and the EU. This will be similar to the rules that currently apply to movement of goods with non-EU countries. The UK Government now operates import and export controls on goods moving between the EU and GB. As a result, there are now significant changes to the process for moving goods between GB and the EU. All businesses moving goods across the GB-EU border need to take account of these and adapt accordingly. To simplify customs procedures, the UK government has introduced a “staged approach” for imports into the UK. UK importers will have the opportunity to enter non-controlled goods under the so-called Customs Freight Simplified Procedure (CFSP), which eliminates the need for a full frontier declaration up until 30th June 2021. Also, traders will be able to utilize the postponed VAT mechanism, where import VAT only has to be accounted for, but not paid at the time of entry into the UK. UK Lift Importers need to make adequate preparations to avoid the delivery of their lifts being delayed; here are some of the questions you need to be asking: 1. Has your business applied for an EORI number? You need an EORI number that starts with GB to import goods into England, Wales or Scotland; you'll need a new one if you already have one that does not start with GB. You can apply for an EORI number here. 2. Does your supplier have an EORI number? The business sending you the goods will need an EU EORI number. 3. Who will make the customs declarations and transport the goods? You can hire someone to deal with customs and transport the goods for you, or you can do it yourself. Most businesses that import goods use a transporter or customs agent; Adept Elevator Storage Distribution can offer this service.

It should be noted that if you use a transporter or customs agent, they must be established in the UK. 4. If you are using a transporter or customs agent, have you issued them with a ‘Letter of Empowerment’? A transporter or customs agent cannot act on your behalf without written instructions from you. The instruction must show whether they’re acting for you directly or indirectly. 5. Do you know the commodity code for your goods? You’ll need to include the commodity code on your import declaration. This will determine the rate of duty you need to pay and if you need an import licence. Your customs agent or transporter will be able to help you with this. 6. Have you got your suppliers Commercial Invoice? This will provide important information about the value of the goods so that the duty and VAT can be calculated. 7. Have you got you suppliers Packing List? This needs to be presented as line items and include concise description of the goods in local language, including weights and number/type of packaging. 8. Have you agreed on Incoterms? To facilitate commerce around the world, the International Chamber of Commerce (ICC) publishes a set of Incoterms, officially known as international commercial terms. Globally recognized, Incoterms prevent confusion in foreign trade contracts by clarifying the obligations of buyers and sellers; these need to be stated and agreed by all parties.


Couldn’t Load Comments
It looks like there was a technical problem. Try reconnecting or refreshing the page.
bottom of page